My name is Alyssa, and I am a second-year student in the Bachelor of Elementary Education at the University of Victoria.

Some of my hobbies include being active, the outdoors, and my job.

Due to the global pandemic, I found a new love for exercise and the outdoors. I spent a lot of time over quarantine going for walks, hikes, going to beaches, and enjoying being outside.

My job isn’t actually a hobby.. but I love it! My job is what opened up my eyes to how much I enjoyed elementary-aged children. Whatever happens in my day, I know that going to work will always put a smile on my face.

A little about me…

I was born and raised here in Victoria, British Columbia. Out of high school, I was unsure of what I wanted to spend my life doing; I knew that teaching was always something that inspired me, but I did not think I had good enough grades to get into this highly competitive program.

I took two years off of school trying to find something else that inspired me. Of course, it was only becoming a teacher that excited me.

I then spent two years upgrading and taking all the pre-requisite courses to get into this program. The first time I applied, I did not get in. I was almost going to give up, but I knew I couldn’t. I spent the next year working on improving my GPA taking classes at Camosun College.

I applied the following year and got in. It was the hardest, most satisfying thing I have ever accomplished, and I don’t regret a minute of my time spent to get to this moment.

I have always been surrounded by children growing up with my mom having a daycare in our home, my long-term job at the after-school care where I was promoted to management, and have been lucky enough to work for 3 years. I am so thankful for the experience this job has given me for my future career.