Today in class, we discussed the experience of both the positive and negative aspects of learning online. I have been struggling with online learning quite a bit lately.  There are truly so many different positive and negative aspects of it.

Positives for me include not spending as much money driving to the university and paying for parking. I also do not have to pack or buy lunch as I am at home and have everything here. I also normally have time to go to the gym between classes, which I would not do as my gym is close to my house, far from the university.

But, there are many cons. I have made a few friends over this year, as it is my first year at uvic, but I have not met nearly half the people in my cohort. Learning at home is lonely, and it is exhausting sitting in your room where you are supposed to relax, and it also is your workplace and a room you spend 80% of the day in.

We talked a lot about what is made only possible for teaching and learning when conducted face-to-face and when it is only possible for teaching and learning when conducted online.  Although the university has done a good job making online learning as good as possible, using breakout rooms constantly allowing us to talk to one another is not the same as real human connection and conversation. I believe heavily in collaboration between my students and in my learning, and online learning is not the same when collaborating. If there was a happy medium of online and in-person, half and half, then I think I would be thrilled.

This video was in one of Michael’s slides, and it was fascinating to see. Although we have never been forced to learn online, we are always learning online. I taught myself the Ukulele from youtube, math at Camosun mostly on youtube, and now my first year of university online. Digital learning will always be a part of learning from this point on; technology is critical and used every day in schools and at home. We must always learn new techniques and discover ways to make online learning easier, as even when we are back in person, digital learning is always being used. With digital learning comes many different possibilities and different inclusion options. Our students need us to understand how to navigate and have different resources available if needed, as all students need different ways of learning.