This week I made a lot of progress with my ukulele song Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

I am using the same teaching style as I did with Riptide. I wrote down all the chords I needed to know, and which finger goes on what string and made diagrams for me to refer to as I go through the song. The diagram also includes strumming patterns.

One thing I am having a really hard time with is the finger picking aspect of this song. It is not like anything I have done before, which is why it is so challenging. The youtube video I previously linked shows how to finger pick, but it is going to take a lot of practice to get the hang of it. Focusing on finger picking and the changing of notes is the hardest part I am struggling with.

I have also noticed that my fingers are getting more used to strumming and holding down the strings, but the finger picking requires a different part of my finger so those parts of my fingers are quite sore when I practice, which means an even less amount of practicing as I usually need to stop after five minutes of practicing.

I also got the opportunity to play in front of a few friends. I was really nervous to do so, but they were very supportive and gave me a few helpful hints. They also wanted me to teach them some of what I have learned from chasing cars, which really helped with my learning. I think as teachers we are always learning and I was definitely learning when teaching my friends a few things I know about the ukulele.

I am excited to keep getting better and better at playing this song.